Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Good Start Redstart

 

I had a WONDERFUL time in Ohio visiting the Magee Marsh Boardwalk during The Biggest Week In American Birding event. 
I saw, heard and photographed soooo many birds at the Marsh in addition to many other Ohio birding spots. My dilemma was choosing what bird to post first after finally getting a chance to go through the many photos I took. 
Because the American Redstart is one of my favorite warblers I thought, 'Redstart, what a great place to start!'  
Here are a few favorite views of the American Redstart from my visit. 
I saw 134 different species of birds during my stay. Incredible experience!


The bright spot of this day was seeing a Redstart and actually capturing a photo I am happy with.
The Redstart is not a nemesis bird for me, but WAS a nemesis capture.
The sun was shining, the bird was singing and I was snapping happily away.


A beautiful bird with a sharp, kind of garbled chippy song.
Zee, zee, zee, zee, zeet!

Below a serious looking Redstart is sharing his opinion, lol.


It was good exploring the boardwalk among experienced birders who share their knowledge.
I remember Birdchick sharing that this was probably a male, first or second year.
The presence of black feathers in the lores and throat suggest this possibility.
I love learning new things!


The furrowed brow and awesome expression on his face imply that he 
got up on the wrong side of the branch. Cracked me up.


Another gorgeous probably second year male American Redstart.

Farwell sweet Redstart, was very nice seeing you on the boardwalk!

17 comments:

  1. Great photos Debbie! Redstarts are such startlingly beautiful birds and you came away with some really dynamite photos here.

    134 species is astonishing!

    Can't wait for the rest : )

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wonderful photos Debbie! didn't we have a lovely time? It was such fun getting to spend time with you and Paul. Can't wait until next year!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful captures of the bird. I have never observed one nor heard of this Magee Marsh Boardwalk. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. A wonderful series of photos.. I did not know the Redstart was so varied. Thanks for the beauty & the lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh Debbie, your Redstart photographs are as beautiful as the bird itself. So very lovely! I would have thought the birds in images 4, 5 and 6 were females. Thanks for teaching me something new. Sounds like you and Paul had a glorious time at The Biggest Week in American Birding. This wonderful post put a big smile on my face. Thanks for sharing such beauty!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Terrific photos, Debbie. What a huge number of species you saw in a short time. Sounds like you had a great time. I saw male and female American Redstarts recently. Great to see those flashes of orange and yellow when they fly.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lovely images of the Redstart. They are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. ....ohhh!! Love these photos. They are great! So glad I got to meet you up there. I'll definitely be back next year. I've never seen so many warlbers in one place!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your captures of the Redstart are gorgeous, Debbie. I can not imagine seeing so many beautiful bird in one place.
    cheers

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! 134 species. Boy, I sure could add to my life is there. Great photos, Debbie.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Wonderful shots of an adorable bird! Must have been fun to go here!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm jealous of your Ohio birding trip! I am FB friends with another 'Sherrie' Bird Chick there in Ohio, Sherrie Duris. She was just saying she had 100 birds for March already! Crazy. I'm just getting to 100 on my life list!

    Love the Redstart photos. The background is just yummy!

    ~ Sherrie (http://birdladyblog.blogspot.com)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for stopping by my blog. I'm so jealous! You have taken some fabulous shots of the Redstart. Nicely captured! Tricky bird to get on the camera.

    ReplyDelete