Saturday, January 9, 2010

Whooooo is it? First of Year Sighting

As time flies by


I photographed this adorable Great Horned Owl nestling in March 2007. It was sheer joy to watch the babies inside gain control of their abilities as they became familiar with the world outside their nest.



This shot captured in April 2007, the owlet had just shimmied up this tree trunk after falling to the ground. It paused to look at me, probably wondering 'Heehee did you see that?' as if it had just tripped and quickly stood up. It was quite endearing. This is one of my favorite captures. We were eye level with each other when I took this picture.




The following year I was lucky enough to see another generation of babies being raised in the same nest. Here Mama is back for a feeding. The nestling is really keeping it's eye on mama's every move. She will leave the nest with the capture/meal to lure the babies outside the nest to feed. She is ready for the them to fledge. I was surprised that the babies hadn't just eaten the meal during the day because mama took the capture from inside the nest. It had been there, all day long with the babies. Hmmm. They waited for mama and became very active, excited by her presence and the anticipation of their next meal. This picture was taken in April 2008.



May 2008 I found this adorable Great Horned Owl napping in the pine trees near the nest.
Look it is smiling at me ...


Picture taken January 2, 2010

Now this is very fitting for me that my first sighting of 2010 was a Great Horned Owl.
This one was snoozing in the same pine tree as the picture above it from 2008.
Could it be?



Picture taken January 2, 2010

Is this one of the Great Horned babies two years old?
Look I think I got another smirk!


Upcoming Great Horned Owl Posts to look for:
The Inside HooooT and Give a HooooT


Great Horned Owl images by Debbie Miller available now in 2010 Calendars,
Journals and more through Cafepress.com/hooootOwl

Nature-ally Beautiful Cards offers two Great Horned Owl boxed set options:
8 pack 016 Owl Set and 8 pack 017 Owl Set

2 comments:

  1. Great post!!! Love these beauties!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are beautiful! I look forward to seeing more images like these in your cafe press online store too!

    ReplyDelete