Wednesday, January 20, 2010

What's Up Wednesday

Life's Little Surprises This little beauty was sitting on the roof as we pulled up to the Howell Nature Center in Howell Michigan last Sunday. I quickly grabbed my camera and snapped a few shots before going inside to begin their Winter Photography Workshop.

Such an elegant walk. She looks regal.

She makes her way toward the edge of the roof.

My first thought was Quail. I was wrong.

This beautiful bird is a Ruffed Grouse.
Read about how they sleep under snow in Cool Facts at AllAboutBirds.org

Life is full of fun little surprises. Today's surprise was a lifer!
The Ruffed Grouse was a life bird today for my sister @LV2Shutterbug ,
my friend Janet @JKissnHug
and myself @HooootOwl
It was just the beginning of a wonderful day together enjoying:

The Winter Photography Workshop at the Howell Conference & Nature Center


Come back tomorrow for Part 2 of the Inside HooooT

3 comments:

  1. You were much quicker with your camera and lucky to capture this grouse, just one of several lifers for me on this outing - Way too much fun, can't wait to do it again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a treat to find this bird as we all pulled up. You were the fastest and ready with the camera. Excellent series of shots. We just never know what will surprise out at the Howell Nature Center. A few years ago, I was leaving the center and a flock of turkeys ran across Triangle Lake Road right in front of my van. That was a life bird for me back then.

    So glad we have a visual of this gorgeous grouse. Great job, Debbie. A wonderful and memorable day for three Canon carrying ladies.

    ReplyDelete