Sunday, November 29, 2009

A Visit to the Howell Nature Center

Wild Wonders Wildlife Park
The Howell Conference & Nature Center's Wildlife Rehabilitation program is dedicated to helping injured and orphaned creatures. Several habitat structures have been constructed on the grounds to promote a safe environment. They are simulated to provide a little natural habitat comfort for these permanently injured residential critters. Admission is free, but donations are always welcome. They also have a wish list: that includes but is not limited to items like unscented bleach and wild bird seed. Many programs are offered to promote environmental education here. It is a beautiful place so bring a camera when you come. We took a lovely stroll through the Wild Wonders trail today and enjoyed every second.

A Broad-winged and Rough-legged Hawk.

A little Black-capped Chickadee beauty along the path.

A Red-shouldered Hawk enjoying the sunshine.

Just A Note Card #018
Features a little hawk and Kestrel beauty from today's walk.
A new addition to my Nature-ally Beautiful Card line.

This little chickadee found a little snack.

Right in front of the office near the parking lot was this beautiful tree. When we first pulled up the tree was loaded with Cedar Waxed Wings. It was breathtaking! The very definition of morning beauty! So as I say this, I hang my head. I chose to walk into the office first and missed the opportunity to photograph them. I don't know why I thought they would just hang around and wait for me to be ready for them. However, I pick my head back up as I say this: Many other beautiful birds including these House Sparrows filled the branches looking for a little treat throughout the day ... I of course took the time to photographed their beauty in these branches.

This is my favorite shot of one of the House Sparrows today.

The Snowy Owl was a striking sight. Looks so inquisitive.

We had a few sightings of the Snowy Owls here in DeKalb Illinois last winter. I even had one fly right across the windshield of my car while searching the snowy cornfields here. Another missed shot! It was so close .... then miles away in the field, camouflaged by snow. I did get a few photographs of him, but nothing I am proud of. It's presence stirred excitement into our birding community last winter. I am hoping for a return visit/stay this winter. We chatted for a little while with the Snowy Owl here at the Howell Nature Center. It seemed very interested in the stories we shared.

More owls, a hawk and some squirrels.


These branches were a magnet to the birds during our visit. Here we watch a Tufted Titmouse bring seed from a nearby feeder into this beautiful tree to snack on.

Inspirational Note Card #048
Featuring my favorite shot of the adorable Tufted Titmouse from today's walk.
A new addition in my Inspirational category.

More beautiful tree shots, this time ... Blue jays.

Now look closely at at this Blue jay. It appears to have two eyes in this profile.


Another adorable titmouse along the path.

You are now leaving Wild Wonders

The location of the Howell Nature is Triangle Lake Road in Howell Michigan.

3 comments:

  1. Beautifully photographed! This is such a lovely place and I am glad you could visit it while you were in town. I love your artistic flair.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fabulous shots Debbie! LOVE LOVE LOVE that Titmouse! And of course the OWLS!

    ReplyDelete
  3. What an acrobat that chickadee turned out to be...Performing for the camera I guess.

    ReplyDelete